Farms at Work is currently accepting applications for an Agriculture and Stewardship Technician. This position is for 4 days/week and will run from October 2015 to March 2016 (with possibility of extension).
The successful applicant will gain valuable experience working in a non-profit environment, with the support of experienced sector and technical knowledge-holders. He or she will make valuable contacts and benefit from comprehensive exposure to the farming sector in east central Ontario over a period of six months.
Anticipated Start Date: October 5, 2015 to March 31, 2016
Location: Peterborough, Ontario
Salary: $450/week for 30 hours a week, plus vacation pay
Key Responsibility Areas
- Coordinate farm stewardship activities with a range of regional partners
- Assist with planning annual stewardship event
- Perform outreach to a wide farmer base using web and social media
- Organize workshops and events for farmers
Please note that in order to meet funder requirements for this position, applicants must be 29 years of age or under, and a citizen or permanent resident of Canada.
In addition, the successful applicant will be a recent graduate (within 3 years) of a program in ecological restoration, environmental sciences, conservation management and/or agriculture. A background and interest in agriculture is a distinct asset.
Other required qualifications:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- A positive, outgoing approach to meeting new people
- The ability to multi-task and organize time effectively
- Proficiency with social media
- Access to a car and a valid driver’s license
- Ability to work occasional evenings or weekends
How to Apply
Together with your resume, please forward a cover letter, which includes your responses to the following questions:
- How did you hear about this position?
- What interests you most about this position?
- Based on our requirements, why are you a strong candidate?
- Briefly tell us about your current/most recent job. Why are you looking for a change?
- Please confirm that you are 29 years of age or under, and a citizen or permanent resident of Canada.
Please send your resume and cover letter with your responses to the above questions to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Farms at Work Stewardship’ in the subject heading. Applications will be accepted until 5PM on Tuesday, September 25. Applicants invited for an interview will be contacted by September 29.